Monday, November 30, 2009

Korean Cooking.

For those of you that are regular readers of my blog you know that I often times talk about Korean Food. I talk about the good, the bad, the weird, and the ugly side of Korean cooking. Yet, rarely have I ever provided insight into how these dishes were made. To answer you quite simply, the reason for that was I had no clue how most of these were made. If I had an idea of how something was made, I had no idea where to buy the ingredients or what to call them. Well, today that may have just all changed.

I was looking around for Doen Jang Chigae recipies because I'm going to try making it soon. Along the way I found this website. This webstie:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipes

gives you not only a demonstration of how to make it, but it also gives you the ingredients you're going to need, in ENGLISH.  For those of you that don't live with an Asian market anywhere nearby you are basically SOL.  Yet, for those of you who are lucky enough to have an Asian market nearby, you should be able to find all of the ingredients you need.  For those of you who want to try making some Korean dishes at home may I suggest you try the following recipies.


Rice mixed with meat, vegetables, an egg, and chili pepper paste

비빔밥
Bibimbap

This is a simple peasants dish of vegetables and rice.  It is simple, filling, and great.  Don't worry, you don't have to use the egg.

Bean paste, tofu, and vegetable stew, and a mixed green salad

된장찌개, 겉절이
Doenjang chigae, gutjulee
Doen Jang Chigae is one of my favorite soups here in Korea.  Just to warn you though, if you do not appreciate the finer types of fermentation like good smelly cheese, don't try this stuff.  It's awesome, but the neighbors might be wondering what died under your house.


Ginseng chicken soup

삼계탕
Samgyetang

I love this stuff.  In fact I love this stuff so much that I brought back packages of the ingredients to give to people.  Don't ask questions, just do it and love it.


Spicy fermented cabbage stew and a bean sprout side dish

김치찌개, 콩나물 무침
Kimchi chigae, kongnamool muchim

Love it or Hate it, you cannot get more traditionally Korean then Kimchi Soup.


Rice, meat, and vegetables rolled up into seaweed and cut into bite-sized pieces

김밥
Kimbap

The original Korean California Roll.




Vegetable pancake with Asian chives

부추전
Buchujeon

This is more along the lines of a dinner thing, not a breakfast thing.  However, that does not stop it from being awesome.  There are hundreds of variations, but my favorite is the Kimchi Pancake with seafood.  YUMMY!!!!

No comments: