Monday, October 13, 2008

You Can't Escape it!!!!!



I'm not one to complain to much about music, even bad music has a place in life. There is a reason that I rock the Toto album on my Ipod. Very much the same way that Jordan rocks out the Europe and the Katey Perry. However, the Koreans are taking this to another level. The song above is currently the hottest thing ever in Korea. Not only is that bad enough, but I was at a bar the other day where they played that song on a loop for well over thirty minutes. I was the only person who noticed because I felt like the song was drilling into my soul. Honestly, I feel like I've been thrown back into Junior High School. Boy Band/Girl Band music is huge in Korea. I mean huge. We're talking worse then N-Sync, Backstreet Boys, and New Kids on the Block combined. You cannot escape this music. When you goto a bar you will hear the same five or six songs a minimum of four times. It's not that K-pop is necessarily evil, it's just that it annoys me to no end. To prove how bad it is here, most Koreans think that Westlife, is still insanely popular. Or how about some band called the A-Teens. They think all these bands are HUGE.

God save me, I didn't know the music would be this bad. Here is another wonderful video featuring those thugs in the picture above. Good luck trying not to laugh.


Now I know what you're thinking, it's just the young teenie boppers that are all about this music. Sadly, no. They adults love them too. Ok, enough of my complaining, I know many of you are far more interested in what embarrassing things I've done lately. Sadly, there have been no new incidents of exceptionally embossing behavior. Well, that is if you don't take my badminton skills into question Yeah folks, that's right. This boy has taken up badminton while in here. Needless to say that those few times I played with my sister in my early teens have not helped much. What has helped was my decades of Ping Pong and my semi-ability to play tennis. I have to say though, it's pretty daunting to watch competitive Korean's play this sport. We have an open gym at my school every Tuesday and Friday where we play Badminton. Several people who are really good show up here to play games. They're tough. Luckily they leave me alone and are too busy burying the birdie into each others faces to notice how poorly I'm playing. Ahh the fun of learning a new sport. There are rumors abounding that I might be taking up cricket while I'm here also. Many of the foreigners want to start playing, and I'm more then interested in showing them what a true baseball player can do at cricket. In other words I'm going to be absolutely horrible until I learn the basics.

One last thing that I have to say I am enjoying about this country is the emphasis on exercise through sport. I'm playing badminton and table tennis often, and starting tomorrow I will be playing Volleyball at my school. Any ideas on other hobbies I should pick up while here, besides working on my absolutely wonderful writing.

Ohh yeah one of the pictures a teacher took of me at camp. I mortified my student when I posed this way. Ahh the fun ways to torture your students.

2 comments:

Joanna Funke said...

haha they even have a rap portion in the first video! Awesome, definitely takes me back. haha Well just hang on to your ipod Will, and you'll make it through! Good luck with all the sports. :)

Nathan said...

Kudos for KPop. Big Bang, especially Tae Yang, is my favorite Korean band.